Portage County Public Schools
Aurora City School District
Crestwood Local School District
Field Local School District
James A. Garfield Local School District
Kent City School District
Ravenna School District
Rootstown Local School District
Southeast Local School District
Streetsboro City School District
Waterloo Local School District
Windham Exempted Village School District
Maplewood Career Center
Bio-Med Science Academy
Kent State University
As one of the nation’s top 90 public research universities, Kent State is a world leader in liquid crystal and polymer-related research.
- First-Tier ranking in the U. S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges for 2021
- Liquid Crystals Institute, Fashion School, Architectural School, Aviation, and Business; custom training (LEAN, Six Sigma, supervisory); and source of skilled workers
- Private and public partnerships with business and industry, education, government and community organizations
- Invaluable real-world experiences for students as they prepare to compete in the global marketplace
As one of the nation’s top 90 public research universities, Kent State is a world leader in liquid crystal and polymer-related research. The university’s growing strengths in information technology, biotechnology and nano-technology make Kent State a leader in emerging high-tech areas.
Kent State provides higher education at all levels, from customized workforce training across eight campuses to doctoral education. The university is known for its optimal blend of excellence in teaching and research. It offers a nationally recognized Honors College, 280+ Bachelor’s Degree programs and many opportunities for study at the master’s and doctoral levels.
All eight Kent State campuses are equipped with the latest technologies designed to enhance student learning and to provide students, faculty, staff and corporate partners with the tools to succeed in an information-based society. Through the use of sophisticated fiber-optic networks and the Internet, Kent State offers courses to students in distributed learning classrooms throughout the eight-campus network and beyond.
Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
Founded in 1973 to meet Northeast Ohio’s critical need for primary care physicians, Northeast Ohio Medical University opened its campus in Portage County in 1977.
Founded in 1973 to meet Northeast Ohio’s critical need for primary care physicians, Northeast Ohio Medical University opened its campus in Portage County in 1977. The inaugural class consisted of students from a consortium of universities in Northeast Ohio – Kent State University, the University of Akron and Youngstown State University.
NEOMED has grown to include three colleges (College of Medicine, College of Pharmacy and College of Graduate Studies) of its own and nine higher education partnerships – including its original consortium plus others such as Hiram College. By providing education, research and service, NEOMED improves the health, economy and quality of life of the diverse communities of Northeast Ohio. The university’s total enrollment consists of nearly 1,000 future medical professionals, most of whom return to live and work in Northeast Ohio.
Collaboration is key to NEOMED’s ongoing success. The university trains future physicians, pharmacists, researchers and other health professionals in an interprofessional environment that positions all for excellence in team-based, patient-centered care and shared research from bench to bedside. To provide a premier health sciences education, NEOMED leverages the strengths and resources of its more than 150 regional partners in health care and education.
In addition to research conducted by NEOMED’s colleges, the University’s Healthy Aging Research Collaborative (HARC) advances innovation and research in health care through five focus areas of research that are of paramount importance to the well-being of Northeast Ohio communities. The five areas of research include: hearing; community-based mental health; heart, liver and blood vessels; musculoskeletal and neurodegenerative disease, and aging.
Hiram College, a private liberal arts college founded in 1850, is a nationally-respected institution.
Hiram typically enrolls over 1,100 students from all 50 states and 24 foreign countries. The college is known nationally for the extensive study-abroad program, unique academic calendar (known as the Hiram Plan), and its emphasis on hands-on learning opportunities. Hiram’s special offerings include a 263-acre biology field station where students and faculty conduct life-science research as partners in learning.
Hiram’s 17 intercollegiate athletic teams compete as members of the NCAA Division III and the nationally respected North Coast Athletic Conference.
Maplewood Career Center
The Maplewood Career Center offers adult and secondary vocational training and custom training in a wide variety of fields.
- Three specific tech prep programs – landscape horticultural, computer-aided engineering and information technology – provide academically-strong high school students with a smooth transition to area technical schools and universities.
- Auto Services, Business Management, Carpentry, Computerized Business, Electronics and Graphic Communications.
- Maplewood Career Center offers a myriad of adult education courses as well. Many Portage County companies have had great success with these programs, from classes in Management and Leadership Training to specialized computer and Web development classes. We are able to design any training program for a company. We then streamline that program to meet specific needs, and we can teach that course either onsite or at Maplewood.
The Northcoast Medical Training Academy
The Northcoast Medical Training Academy prepares students to acquire key Ohio examination certifications.
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Electrocardiograph Technician (EKG)
- State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA)
- Massage Therapy
The school also offers a unique program that prepares the student to work as a Veterinary Assistant or Animal Caretaker in a health facility.
Who calls Portage County home?
Let's work together
Connect with us to discuss why Portage County is the place your company should do business.