Educating a Talented Workforce
Educating a Talented Workforce in Portage County
Portage County offers many high quality choices in public and post-secondary education resulting in a skilled, talented workforce.
Portage County Public Schools
Kent State University
- First-Tier ranking in the S. News & World Report’s Best National Universities for 2014
- Liquid Crystals Institute, Fashion School, Architectural School, Aviation, and Business; custom training (LEAN, Six Sigma, supervisory); and source of skilled workers
- Private and public partnerships with business and industry, education, government and community organizations
- Invaluable real-world experiences for students as they prepare to compete in the global marketplace.
As one of the nation’s top 90 public research universities, Kent State is a world leader in liquid crystal and polymer-related research. The university’s growing strengths in information technology, biotechnology and nano-technology make Kent State a leader in emerging high-tech areas.
Kent State provides higher education at all levels, from customized workforce training across eight campuses to doctoral education. The university is known for its optimal blend of excellence in teaching and research. It offers a nationally recognized Honors College, 280+ Bachelor’s Degree programs and many opportunities for study at the master’s and doctoral levels.
All eight Kent State campuses are equipped with the latest technologies designed to enhance student learning and to provide students, faculty, staff and corporate partners with the tools to succeed in an information-based society. Through the use of sophisticated fiber-optic networks and the Internet, Kent State offers courses to students in distributed learning classrooms throughout the eight-campus network and beyond.
The Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
The Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) serves Ohio residents by graduating qualified physicians oriented to the practice of medicine at the community level.
NEOMED is part of an educational consortium with The University of Akron, Kent State University and Youngstown State University. NEOMED’s clinical teaching facilities include 16 community hospitals, 8 of which are major teaching facilities, and a board of health.
NEOMED offers students the ability to obtain a combined bachelor of science degree and a medical doctorate degree (B.S/M.D.) in as few as six years. There are only 17 combined B.S./M.D. programs throughout the country. There is also direct entry into the medical program for students holding bachelor’s degrees. Additionally, the college offers graduate programs in biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering through Kent State University and The University of Akron.
Focused areas of research include Cardiovascular Medicine/Lipid Metabolism, Clinical Outcomes/Health Policy Infectious Diseased/Virology, Neuroscience/Behavioral Systems and Skeletal Biology/Bone Disease.
Hiram College, a private liberal arts college founded in 1850, is a nationally-respected institution that offers close student-faculty interactions, international study experiences, and experiential learning environments.
Hiram typically enrolls over 1100 students from all 50 states and 24 foreign countries. The college is known nationally for the extensive study-abroad program, unique academic calendar (known as the Hiram Plan), and its emphasis on hands-on learning opportunities. Hiram’s special offerings include a 263-acre biology field station where students and faculty conduct life-science research as partners in learning.
Hiram’s 17 intercollegiate athletic teams compete as members of the NCAA Division III and the nationally respected North Coast Athletic Conference.
Fortis College provides postsecondary career education and training for careers in nursing, medical, business and skilled trades career fields
These programs are designed to assist students in enhancing their career opportunities and improving problem-solving abilities through a variety of degree and diploma programs. Fortis College also strives to develop within its students the desire for lifelong and continued education. The school provides an educational process that offers a change-oriented approach giving graduates the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in existing and emerging career occupations.
Maplewood Career Center
The Maplewood Career Center offers adult and secondary vocational training and custom training in a wide variety of fields, including:
- Three specific tech prep programs – landscape horticultural, computer-aided engineering and information technology – provide academically-strong high school students with a smooth transition to area technical schools and universities.
- Auto Services, Business Management, Carpentry, Computerized Business, Electronics and Graphic Communications.
- Maplewood Career Center offers a myriad of adult education courses as well. Many Portage County companies have had great success with these programs, from classes in Management and Leadership Training to specialized computer and Web development classes. We are able to design any training program for a company. We then streamline that program to meet specific needs, and we can teach that course either onsite or at Maplewood.
The Northcoast Medical Training Academy
The Northcoast Medical Training Academy prepares students to acquire their State Medical Board of Ohio and Ohio Department of Health examination certifications and licensures in the fields of:
- Phlebotomy Technician
- Medical Assisting
- Electrocardiograph Technician (EKG)
- State Tested Nurse Aide (STNA)
- Massage Therapy
The school also offers a unique program that prepares the student to work as a Veterinary Assistant or Animal Caretaker in a health facility.
Questions & Comments
Make it your business to be in Portage County.